Featured Post

MAGNOLIA MOOD JUST A NOTE

Today’s card features the Magnolia Mood Bundle which is a new online exclusive.  I knew the minute I saw this bundle I wanted it.  I could j...

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Best Catch


Today’s card is an update from a previous card I did back earlier this year.  I wanted to teach this technique in my November card workshop (my customers requested masculine themed cards) so I needed to update a few things, because some of the products I previously used had retired and because there were some new products I wanted to incorporate. 
So here is the card…

Unfortunately, no matter how I try I just cannot truly capture the shine on this trout.  But believe me this card is super cute and perfect for any guy in your life.  So, let’s get to making it shall we.

I started with a card base made from Very Vanilla cardstock that measures 5 ½ x 8 ½”, scored at 4 ¼”.  I then added a layer of Night of Navy that measures 4 x 5 ¼” (tip:  since you will be die cutting the layer for under the sentiment out of Night of Navy as well I suggest you cut it out of the center of this layer, no one will ever see it and it is a great way to save on supplies).  Cut the Night of Navy sentiment layer out using the second largest of the long think rectangles from the Rectangle Stitched Dies.

For the top layer of the card I cut Sahara Sand cardstock that measures 3 ¾ x 5”.  I used the Cracked Paint background stamp and Crumb Cake ink to make this layer really pop (tip:  when I am using these large background stamps I take the ink pad to the stamp and then place my cardstock over the stamp and lay a piece of scratch paper on the top and rub, if you are like me your hands are just not large enough to manage a stamp this size).  To further add interest to this layer I used a sponge and added a little more Crumb Cake ink to the edges.  I then opened up my scissors and ran one of the blades down each side to distress it a bit, and the final thing I did was use my bone folder to curl up a couple of the corners (it really adds to that masculine distressed look).  

I then stamped the trout image from the Best Catch stamp set onto a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock using Memento Ink and cut it out using the coordinating Catch of the Day dies.  While I had those dies out I went ahead and cut the cattails from it out of Pear Pizzaz cardstock (you need a scrap about 2 ½ x 3”).  Once I had these pieces cut I started coloring.  First for the cattails, I just brushed a little of the Dark Soft Suede Stampin’ Blend marker across the actual cattails and then used a sponge to add a little Pear Pizzaz ink to give them some dimension (set this aside and then once you get your trout and your sentiment on the card just tuck it in behind the sentiment and to the side of the trout).  My trout was also colored using the Stampin’ Blend markers, I used the following combos to get his coloring:  Granny Apple Green, Petal Pink and Bermuda Bay.  Once I had finished coloring him I turned him upside down on my Versamark Ink pad and pressed down to cover him with the ink, then I covered him in Clear Stampin’ Emboss Powder and heat set it (it gives him a wet look just like you would see on a real fish).  I adhered him to the card using dimensionals.

I die cut a scrap of Sahara Sand cardstock (about 1 x 3”) using the third of the long thin rectangles from the Rectangle Stitched Dies and stamped my sentiment “Happy Birthday” from the Here’s a Card stamp set using Night of Navy Ink. I adhered it to the Night of Navy rectangle and then wrapped a piece of the Night of Navy/Sahara Sand Baker’s Twine around it.  I then adhered it using dimensionals. 

There you have it, a great masculine card.  This card could be made using any one of a number of sentiments from Birthday to Get Well to Father’s Day and it would be great for the men in your life.  I hope you enjoyed this card and as always you can find the product to make this card and many more projects on my website at www.craftwithronnie.stampinup.net or by clicking the shopping cart at the top of this blog or the pictures of the product used below.

Happy Crafting!!!

Supplies Used:


No comments:

Post a Comment