Featured Post

MAGNOLIA MOOD JUST A NOTE

Today’s card features the Magnolia Mood Bundle which is a new online exclusive.  I knew the minute I saw this bundle I wanted it.  I could j...

Friday, September 5, 2014

Feeling crafty

Well here we are another beautiful morning in Central California.  Fog is burning off and it looks like it is going to be a gorgeous day.  I had one of those super productive days yesterday and it looks like today is going to be the same.  I was wide awake at 5:30 a.m. so I have already made some cards and cleaned the oven and it isn't even 8 a.m.  Well here are some of my fun makes, I am doing my best to try new techniques whenever possible, so here are two that I think worked out well.


I had already posted a picture of the first card I did like this but the tree was stamped with olive ink.  In this one I got brave and decided to try something new for me.  I started by loading up a dauber with honey ink and daubing randomly on the stamp, then I went in with autumn terracotta, next was olive and finally just a touch of chocolate (for the base of the tree).  I think it looks great, I was really happy with the result.  I will be honest though the first one didn't look so great.  I made the mistake of too much olive and chocolate and it was to dark.  I found if I depended more on the honey (rich yellow) and the autumn terracotta (beautiful fall orange) I got a better look.  The tree and sentiment are from the Always Grateful (C1559) stamp set and I use them all the time, the set has a great evergreen for Christmas as well.  I will definitely be using this technique some more.  

The next technique was something I saw on You Tube when I was looking for some new ideas for embossing folders and velum and I hit the jackpot, using them together.  I love the look, it was very rich and I got a beautiful result.  I do still need to add a sentiment to them but I found words don't do well stamped directly onto vellum so I am going to do them on some coordinating card stock and add them to the cards.  


These were so much fun.  I embossed the vellum first (I found I needed embossing folders with a large void area to color in) and then I colored them in using my Close to My Heart inks.  To achieve a watercolor affect on the velum I took one of my acrylic blocks and just swiped it across the ink pad to pick up some of the ink.  I then dipped my blending pen (which I had purchased from Close to my Heart without knowing anything about how to use one, LOL) into that ink and colored directly onto the vellum, adding more ink as necessary.  I think they are beautiful.  Next time I would like to play around with acetate and see what I can do with that.  I hope you liked these new techniques, I had a great time and I learned to give something new a try and who knows what you might create.

Until next time Happy Crafting!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment